Thursday, November 29, 2012

PSU -- TDAY -- SOUP

Do you ever feel life is moving at the speed of light? Lately that's how life has been for us -- our calender has just been extremely full -- which sometimes is good, sometimes bad. Thankfully in this instance it was very good.

I was super sick 2.5 weeks ago with a chest cold that had me down and out for a full week -- I simply worked and slept. (thankfully Trevor was traveling all week so I just slept) By the weekend of the first week I was doing better. We had plans with friends (& tickets) to go see Penn State football play and hang out with some of wonderful friends. We really enjoyed the weekend & by the end of the weekend I was doing MUCH better perhaps it was all the friend time :o)

We went tailgating, watched the football game, made bread, had late night chats, took a not so brisk but chilly walk, walked around downtown, hit up wegmans (my fav!!), & goodwill! We took in all that happy valley had to offer - it was fantastic.
"Friends are a blessing from God..."

So last week my 'sickness' was still lingering but I was hobbling along still coughing, sneezing, & blowing my nose :) My parents were coming for thanksgiving to visit -- we were super excited to see them but apartment was not... it needed to love & attention.. so we spent the next two days after we came back cleaning and getting ready for their arrival. Of course we were both working too. I actually had to work on thanksgiving day but only for four hours (holiday pay baby!) so I didn't mind.

My parents came Wednesday afternoon and stayed until Sunday. It was really great having them visit and having a full apartment. We spent thanksgiving with Trevor's Dads family and my parents -- we ended up with the turkey bones and made some awesome meals out of them, boy we lucked out :o) Turkey leftover soup anyone? or Turkey bisquits and gravy? yum!

We shopped, made food, ate, did some more shopping, boys played games, talked & overall had a grand ole time. I'll admit I was a bit cranky at times I was still feeling a little down and out sickness wise..



I'm happy to report that aside from a lingering cough which might have more to do with my asthma and the cold front coming through --- I am feeling MUCH better. Thankfully.. now if the cough would dispensary all together I would be one happy girl.


This is quite a loaded post but I wanted to throw a recipe out there that I made yesterday that was really good! Black Bean Chicken Soup.. As some of you know I'm not very good at following recipes to a T -- I like to adjust to what I think would better or what we might like better. The black bean soup was a good recipe but we needed some more protein than just black beans. So I added slow cooker Mexican chicken to it. Instead of doing the black bean soup on the stove for the duration of its life I was started it on the stove and then mixed it into the slow cooker chicken I had shredded and had been warming for awhile. 


I highly recommend this soup it was really tasty & easy too.  So in short I followed the black bean soup & then added the black bean soup to the slow cooker Mexican chicken and let it simmer for awhile in the slow cooker. I skipped the lime too -- I didn't have any. It was would of probably been good though.

Happy slurping! I could live on soup!

No comments: